Singapore, world’s fourth biggest financial center and commercial hub is the perfect definition of an international city/country. It is probably one of the smallest, safest, cleanest, friendliest and well-organized country we’ve come across. Singapore island has expanded consistently by acquiring land from neighboring countries overtime (we learned this information from a local cab driver who was very passionate about sharing the history of his country). Internationally known as the garden city, the majestic rain trees make driving through Singapore roads (such as Arcadia road) a unique experience.
It is also one of the most expensive cities we have been to in Asia, the rate and cost of living is very close to US dollar (as of Jan 2015). We weren’t surprised to hear that Singapore was recently ranked as the most expensive city in the world.
Singapore is an awesome destination for all age groups including families. There is something for everyone!
Based on our 3-4 day itinerary in Singapore these were the few things we enjoyed:
1. Run/walk around Marina Bay: Its free of cost, a beautiful run by the water, you also get to see The Merlion (an iconic statue of lion and mermaid and cross the beautiful helix bridge. Read Marina Bay full review
2. Check out Gardens by the bay: You can spend half a day touring the three different gardens within gardens by the bay or watch it at dusk once the lights come on to appreciate the beautiful architecture. Read Gardens by the Bay full review
3. Check out Night Safari: Singapore zoo has done an awesome job of creating entertainment at night with a tram that takes you out at night to check out nocturnal animals in their habitat. Read Singapore Night Safari full review
4. Walk the length of Orchard Road: Read Orchard Road full review
5. Take the cable car connecting Mount Faber to Sentosa island: Read Cable car full review
6. Hop on and hop off Singapore tour bus: Goes around all the major Singapore neighborhoods for about an hour.
Food and Restaurants in Singapore:
Sunny and I love our food. Every destination for us comes with a list of things food we want to try. More than anything we love surprises as well as seeing how much change our palates/minds can take.
Here are some MUST EATS we think need to be experienced in Singapore:
1. Happy hour at Kinki’s: Kinki’s is a rooftop restaurant with a beautiful view of the city facing Marina Bay Sands. Read Singapore Kinki full review
2. Ku de Ta at Skypark: This is a rooftop lounge at Marina Bay Sands Hotel. Read Ku de Ta full review
3. Satay Street: Absolute must in Singapore, Read Singapore Satay Street full review
4. Hawker’s Street: Singapore has three different hawkers street with Lau Pa Sat being one of the popular ones with tourist. Depending on your location, make sure to try at least one of them for some cheap good food. Read Singapore Hawker Centers full review
5. Fish Head curry at Samy’s: Read Samy’s full review
6. Chili crab: Read chili crab full review
7. Bread ice-cream: Read bread ice-cream full review
8. Singapore Sling: Gin, Brandy and lemon juice make up for a delicious drink that’s on the menu at most bars. There are different versions of it with the better one being at a bar at Singapore Riverfront.
9. Kaya toast at Toast Junction
Things we missed but plan on doing when we go back:
1. Kampong Glam
2. Tion Bahru
3. Scallops in black bean sauce
4. Ding Dong restaurant
5. Explore Sentosa Island for a full day
6. Treetop walk